Winter Woes and Water Damage from Ice and Snow? Call SERVPRO for Help in Mountain Home!
Mountain Home With Frozen Pipes Needs Water Cleanup
Water damage from pipe bursts due to frigid weather is not uncommon in Idaho. Many homes built in the last 50 years tend to have the water pipes located within the structure away from exterior walls and well-insulated from freezing.
Because winter temperatures often dip into the single digits in Mountain Home, frozen pipes and water cleanup assistance is a frequent call SERVPRO receives. Temperatures below 20 degrees Fahrenheit or lower can be the cause of any pipe burst because when water freezes, it expands and has nowhere to go within the confines of the plumbing.
The equipment makes the difference for lessening loss in every home disaster situation. Consumer-grade wet/dry vacs have no comparison to the portable pumps, ride-on Rover units, and truck-mounted power for expedited water removal. Equally, unmatched is the array of drying equipment that brings down the interior humidity rapidly and helps homeowners avoid secondary issues such as mold growth or foul odors.
Preventing Frozen Pipes
· There are steps homeowners can take against freezing pipes such as:
· Keep the heat on in the property, at least above 50 degrees Fahrenheit
· Turn the water for both hot and cold taps on just a bit and let the water drip
· For pipes by an outside wall within cabinets, open the cabinet doors
· Seal gaps and cracks around pipes where the cold area can enter
· Heating tape is a solution some homeowners use for short sections of pipe that at risk of freezing
· Insulate pipes where the home is not heated, particularly in basements or attic spaces
Water Extraction and Drying
SERVPRO technicians arrive quickly to extract the water from the property. They can arrange for a qualified plumber to make the repairs needed to assist the home getting back to normal if the homeowner desires. The drying of the property uses air movers that blow high-velocity warm air that speeds the drying process. Afterward, the techs wipe down surfaces affected by water loss with antimicrobial and deodorizing cleaning agents to ensure no residual water odors get left behind.
SERVPRO of Wood River Valley at (208) 788-0183 handles water cleanup from frozen pipes in properties and makes the loss, "Like it never even happened."